Sunday 25 August 2013

Replenishing electrolytes after a workout




Today I have decided to tackle this particular topic because over the past few weeks I have come to the realization that people don’t really appreciate the importance of electrolytes. Well it’s not really that they don’t appreciate but rather, they don’t know.

One thing that most people know all too well is that hydration is very important and more so after engaging in some sort of exercise. For this reason you will see people drinking litres upon litres of water. You would think that they are on the right track, right? Well not exactly.

 You see, when you exercise you sweat and when that happens, water is not the only thing that your body loses. There are quite a number of other very important elements that exit as well including sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium. Collectively these are known as electrolytes. But what’s all this hullaballoo about electrolytes?

Let’s start with sodium, while a lot of noise has been made about the dangers of this particular element; the reality is that it is very vital. It plays a major role in keeping blood pressure where it needs to be and also supports nerve and muscle function. You need calcium so that your muscles can contract properly while magnesium plays a very important role in keeping body cells healthy. Potassium on the other hand is an energy regulator and also helps in maintaining pH balance.

Simply put, without electrolytes, your body won’t be able to function efficiently. Some of the symptoms of having low electrolyte levels in the body include extreme tiredness, nausea, muscle cramps and even confusion. I am pretty sure you have experienced some or even all of these after one of your workouts and like most people you probably just took a shower, drank water and rested. Well, this can never be enough.

So how do you replenish your electrolyte reserves after a workout? I have seen people drinking sports drinks after a long run or gym workout. While this is a very good idea we need to be realistic; sports drinks simply aren’t cheap. The good news is that this is not the only option that exists. You don’t have to spend a lot of money all in the name of giving your body much needed electrolytes; you can make your own electrolyte drink using common everyday foods or rather fruits.

My electrolyte drink is very simple; lemon squeezed in water. Yes it doesn’t sound like much but trust you me it works like a charm. After a long hard work out, It will quench your thirst like nothing you’ve ever drank before. I discovered this one day after one of my workouts. I had been drinking water for hours but my body just wasn’t getting enough. I had some lemons in the house so I decided to make some lemonade just to see if I could solve the problem. Usually I add a bit of sugar but the moment I cut one lemon and the nice smell hit my nose, I knew immediately that that would not be necessary. So I simply squeezed a few in a glass of water and drank it. The feeling I got after that was simply awesome; I guess one would say it is equivalent to the feeling a junkie gets when he shoots or smokes his favourite drug. Bananas also contain loads of potassium and magnesium so eat one or two after your workout. Apples too will get the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment